Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston.

Anyone who has ever met me ever would tell you that I'm a sensitive person. It's okay, it's not always a flaw.

So when I was at work yesterday and heard about the bombing at the Boston Marathon, I felt as if I'd been punched in the gut. I told my coworker over and over again that I thought I was going to throw up. I stepped away for a few minutes to get my head on straight. I gave in to my concern for the city and our nation when I got home by watching CNN for three hours straight and crying. On a day that was far from routine for our nation, this reaction was completely routine for me.

I think every blogger contemplated saying something, the only question was what? What is the right thing to say when some of us - like me - have no words, just feelings? And lots of them?

Now is the not the time to place blame, to speculate about who did this and why. Now is not the time to be partisan, nor for jokes. Now is the time to take care of Boston and to take care of our loved ones who were affected by this, both directly and indirectly.

At a time when it's so easy to wonder what the world is coming to, to be afraid for our safety, to fear our neighbors, and to lose faith in humanity it is so important not to. Don't listen to the voices that tell you to give up, that there's no hope. Remember that yesterday afternoon, directly after the explosion, professional first responders, runners, and spectators alike ran TOWARD the wreckage to help in any way they could. Remember the runners that continued running past the finish line to the medical tents to donate blood. Remember the people that opened their homes, that fed the uninjured runners.

In the aftermath of this senseless act committed by a person or persons or a group, please remember that there is so much good in this world. There is more good in this world than there is evil. And while evil is often more flashy, good conquers evil all the time.

Do something good today. Do something good tomorrow too, and the day after that. Be part of the good that conquers the bad.

1 comment:

  1. in a tragedy, always look for the helpers. there are always helpers. it's so important to remember that, thanks for reminding people.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting? How lovely. Please try not to talk about dead cats.