I found this on Holly's blog, and I loved the idea of reviewing 2011 before moving on to 2012. I think it's fun to see how much things have changed over the years by doing some review like this every year. If you decide to do something like this too, let me know in the comments so I can go read yours too. :)
1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
I mean, I guess graduating from college counts! Haha. I also went to Canada on a trip with friends (first just-friends trip!) and I studied abroad in China. I also created my official Valorie Clark Photography blog (and am still accepting clients for 2012 - contact me there)!
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did make resolutions, and I did keep 2/3! I think that's very impressive, for me at least.
(Which fell apart? Project 365. :c )
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, but my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer, which was very troubling to me. She's doing well, but at 86, any sickness is tough for her to beat.
5. Did you visit anywhere exciting?
I went to Montreal in January, I studied abroad in China over the summer, and I went to Washington D.C. (and decided to move there!) in October.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A budget! I'm so so so bad at budgeting I need to figure one out for myself.
7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Oh man, I don't know. I'm bad with dates. My boyfriend and I started dating on January 27th. We graduated from college on December 17th.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest mistake?
I try not to think about it. We all make mistakes, the best way to deal with them is to learn from them then move on.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
For once, I think all I was sick with was some colds. Some bad ones, but just various colds.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My boyfriend! He has been wonderful all year, especially during all the thesis writing stress.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
No one made me depressed, though one person's made me appalled. That's the most I'll say though.
14. Where did most of your money go in 2011?
Gas (ugh), clothes, and coffee dates.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
So much! There was a lot to be excited about - I studied abroad, I graduated from college, I got a great internship working for a company that does work I'm passionate about - 2011 was a pretty exciting year over all.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier, absolutely.
ii. thinner or fatter? I think I weigh roughly the same. Maybe a few pounds lighter.
iii. richer or poorer? About the same, I think. Maybe a little richer from all the graduation presents.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I wish I'd saved more money, I wish I'd gotten better grades in the spring, and I wish I had done more of the things I'm the most passionate about.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
I wish I'd spent less money on frivolous things, and I wish I'd sat at home less.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
The same way I always spend it. :)
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
I sure did. :)
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Friends, as always, though I also discovered How I Met Your Mother and loved it too.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hate is too strong. Dislike? Not really. I think it was a good year for friendships.
24. What was the best book you read?
Hmm... I read so many this year. I really loved Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling (one of the writers of The Office).
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Adele. I discovered her literally on January 1st last year and spent all year in love with her voice.
26. What did you want and get?
Tough. I wanted to kick start my photography business and I think I did an okay job. You tell me.
27. What did you want and not get?
A greyhound. But that's what 2012 is for. :)
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 21 this year, and since I was in China it wasn't a big deal at all (the drinking age there is
18 whenever you can see over the counter). My parents were visiting me though, so that was nice. I had dinner with them at a nice Italian restaurant right in the heart of Shanghai, haha.
29. What's one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I don't think anything. I mean, this was a pretty good year, all in all.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Whatever Pinterest suggested! Haha. No, uhm, fall was a lot of boots over jeans and leg warmers, with basic tops and blazers. I find myself very inspired by the Duchess of Cambridge, Reese Witherspoon, and Zooey Deschanel.
31. What kept you sane?
Lots of hugs and kisses from the boy, as well as plenty of phone dates with friends.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Rupert A. L. Grint and Ryan Gosling.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
I pay attention to politics a lot, so I've kind of gotten to the point where none of it really shocks me. SOPA really irritated me though.
34. Who do you miss the most?
Hmm, I missed my friends Katie and Cyndi the most, because I hardly saw them all year. I also missed my family a lot - some I hadn't seen since 2010! But once I go to California in January, I'll have seen everyone. :)
35. Who was the best new person you met?
The boy, hands down. Technically we met in 2010, but we never held a conversation until we went to Montreal together.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011?
Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself.
37. What are your new years resolutions for 2012?
I'm not quite sure yet. But my word for 2012 is Explore. :)
HAPPY NEW YEAR! Have a wonderful 2012 everyone, and I hope you enjoyed 2011. :)