And on April 8th, aka THURSDAY, they're sponsoring a world-wide event called One Day Without Shoes.
It's exactly like it sounds. On April 8th, we're all going to go barefoot for the day to raise awareness for people around the world that go without shoes every day. It'll be good for us -- we'll get a glimpse of what it's like -- and good for them because people WILL ask why you're going barefoot.
Well, here's why I'M doing it:
- In some developing nations, children must walk for miles to school, clean water, and to seek medical help.
- Cuts and sores on feet can lead to serious infection.
- Often, children cannot attend school barefoot.
- In Ethiopia, approximately one million people are suffering from Podoconiosis, a debilitating and disfiguring disease caused by walking barefoot in volcanic soil.
- Podoconiosis is 100% preventable with basic foot hygiene and simply wearing shoes.