Thursday, May 28, 2009

Seize the day

I know I’ve mentioned this before – carpe diem and the whole idea that goes along with that – but I feel like I haven’t been living it recently. If you’re friends with me on Facebook or have been seeing my tweets recently, you know that I’ve spent most of the past two weeks counting down to when I’ll be back in College Station. It took me until just now to realize that that is not living in the moment. I always say that one should be grateful for what they have and live every day to the fullest, but I’ve spent the greater part of the past fourteen days doing exactly the opposite of that – I’ve been going to bed too early, sleeping too late, spending too much of my time on Facebook, working too much, playing too little, worrying too much, being outside too little, planning too much, having fun too little, counting down too often. I’ve been living too little.

I won’t be long and drawn out (it’s time to go out and play!) – but I’m saying right here right now that I’m making goals for everyday – I’m not planning, but committing. I know I won’t be able to accomplish all of them everyday, and I never know what order I’ll do them in, that’s for sure, but I’m going to try.

- Read a little bit of a book everyday. Related: try to read this list of 50 banned books by the
end of the summer.
- Learn something new everyday.
- Take a picture everyday.
- Have fun everyday.
- Do something for someone else everyday.
- Be impulsive.
- Work hard and play hard.
- Write everyday.
- Talk to a family member everyday.
- Read the good book everyday.

I know things will interfere – there will be days at the lake and vacations and parties and sicknesses and other things that will take away from one or more of those things – but I’ll classify most of those things as having fun and playing hard and let them slide. I’m going to live and learn.

Carpe diem.

(photo thanks to http://treehugger.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting? How lovely. Please try not to talk about dead cats.