Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Hello, my name is Summer Finn

Someone told me they think the writers of (500) Days of Summer stalked me and based Summer Finn off of me.

[For those of you that haven't seen the movie, this post will make no sense to you. So, go see (500) Days, then come back and read this. Also, it will contain spoilers and I don't want to ruin the greatest movie of all time for you.]

See, there's a scene in the movie where McKenzie (Geoffery Arend), Summer (Zooey Deschanel), and Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) are in a bar, and McKenzie asks Summer if she has a boyfriend. She says no, she doesn't want one. A humorous moment passes as McKenzie asks if she's a lesbian until Summer explains herself -- "I like being on my own. Relationships are messy, people's feelings get hurt. We're young, we live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, why don't we just have fun and save the serious stuff for later?" (I may have misquoted that -- it's been over a week since I saw the movie.)

Now, College Station may not be one of the most beautiful cities in the world by most standards (though I love it), but I can see where my friend was going. That first sentence, I like being on my own, was part of why Kevin and I broke up -- I'm independent and don't like committing my time to anyone or anything. I like being able to do spur-of-the-moment things without owing anyone something, and that wasn't fair to him. And the people's feelings get hurt part? Yeah, too true, and more times than not it wasn't worth it. I've been in my share of relationships, but life always got in the way. For instance, I'm going to China soon, and I'll be there a long time -- now isn't exactly a great time for me to be getting too attached to anyone. That's just how life is these days.

So maybe I am like Summer Finn. I think I'm okay with that though. For now I'm willing to just be friends and have fun, and maybe someday I can wake up and realize what I've never been sure of up until now.

I'll leave you with one last quote from Summer and Tom:

Tom: So what happened, why didn't things work out?
Summer: What always happens;
life.



2 comments:

  1. I saw this movie with youuuuuuu! :) I totally see you being like summer..crazy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Commenting? How lovely. Please try not to talk about dead cats.