Saturday, July 25, 2009

Reasons why your next week will be spent in movie theatres

In the past week, I've finally seen Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Harry Potter for the second time, (500) Days of Summer, The Ugly Truth, and The History Boys, which I found for $5 at Sam Goody. And I loved all of them so much, I'm giving you reasons to go see them.

Transformers 2: I got exactly what I expected out of this movie. I'll be honest, what people say about plotholes is pretty true -- I was left with a lot of questions at the end: What happened to the really annoying guy? Or the little mini Decepticon turned Autobot? Robot heaven...whaaat? Are those really that close together geographically? Etc. However, the total tomboy in me loved the plethora of giant explosions and superb animation (except at one point). The girl in me also liked seeing Shia Lebouf really prove once again that he's a great actor (as well as extremely attractive). Megan Fox was cool too -- though I did note that her right forearm never ended up on camera -- must have been to hide her ridiculous tattoo. Anyways, the movie was great, and I recommend it to everyone. It's also a great date movie. :)

Harry Potter: I've discussed this one before, but I have a few more comments on it: Tom Felton is such a wonderful actor. I knew that in every movie, but this movie kind of hit you over the head with it repeatedly. He doesn't really talk much in the movie, but just his acting alone shows you what a complicated character Draco Malfoy is. Mmm. :] <3 style="font-weight: bold;">[SPOILER ALERT] JK Rowling didn't make it totally obvious Ginny Weasley and Harry would end up together at the beginning of the series because otherwise the people that did the casting would have made sure the girl that played Ginny would have been extremely gorgeous (red-headed Megan Fox?) instead of the wonderfully adorable Bonnie Wright who I actually respect as an actress. While Bonnie is really pretty, she's perfect for it because Harry doesn't fall for Ginny because she's a supermodel, it's because she's very real. [End spoilers.] Rupert Grint is also proving that he's a great actor as well as a very interesting person, though really he started to prove his famous actor status in Prisoner of Azakaban. Anyways, though the movie leaves things out (like introducing two very important characters -- Bill and Charlie Weasley), but it's great and totally worth seeing.

(500) Days of Summer: This movie is different. As it says on the website, it's not a love story, but a story about love. Boy meets girl, boy falls in love, girl doesn't. It's about searching for "the one" and how unnervingly easy it is to be incredibly wrong about him/her. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel give it so much life and make it quirky and refreshingly different. Everything about the movie is so different, and even knowing the plotline upfront, it was still powerful. And the music is great. I've said the least about this movie so far, but I urge you to see it the most. (I got to see it at the Angelika Theatre in Dallas, hence the picture.)

The Ugly Truth: I saw this one with Cyndi and I think we both agree that it was cute. Like Transformers, I got exactly what I expected out of it. Self-proclaimed man-whore "love is a lie" guy falls for the beautiful girl who's dreams about prince-charming were never shattered. The whole story was obvious from the previews, but we all knew we weren't going to find out what happened. Go because this movie is funny. It's a chick-flick, but it's one I could see guys going to and enjoying because it's look on falling in love is hilarious.

The History Boys: This movie is based on a play by Alan Bennett and actually came out a few years ago, but it's awesome. It's about some boys at an all-boys grammar school in England and their teachers that are preparing them for the Oxford and Cambridge entrance exams. But, of course, the movie covers their lives outside of school -- it covers every teacher's relationship to the boys and to each other and whether or not they've crossed societal boundaries in them, and it shows the boys' search for lust, excitement, and importance before they're separated and sent off to university. It's a great movie, every actor is wonderful, and I highly recommend it for your next night in. Though, if you're at all homophobic, I would suggest you watch it with the knowledge that there are homosexual overtones. It's not over-the-top or anything, but it's clear. I can see why the play won the Tony Award and the Olivier Award.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting? How lovely. Please try not to talk about dead cats.